The Volunteer House Team is a core group supported by the Olancho Aid Foundation. The members work side by side with North American mission teams in order to improve the quality of life in our community. Our main goal is to work alongside people in high-risk sectors to give a beam of hope and faith to some of the poorest people in the community. The team works to ensure that time spent volunteering is a life-changing experience for faith communities, families, and young adults who participate.
The mission team experience catalyzes both our North American volunteers and the citizens of Olancho to grow in their faith, strengthen their trust in others, and gain a better understanding of the world by working together in unity. The model ensures that the work completed by volunteers is sustained and continues to build hope and opportunity within the Olancho community.
Mission teams choose to serve with Olancho Aid because we tailor each experience to the strengths of the team. Being open to different kinds of work in the community leads to meaningful development for the people we serve and the volunteers who make it happen.
The breadth of opportunities means that all volunteers matter and their talent is appreciated and utilized. Key areas of focus:
- Yearly patient visits and treatment for more than 1,300 people in 11 villages.
- Dental examinations and preventive education for children and adults.
*The clean water projects impact the incidence of intestinal parasite across communities.
- Tutoring for students in villages and Olancho Aid Schools
- Refurbishment of classrooms in public schools surrounding Juticalpa
- Reorganizing and supplying the bilingual library at Centro Escolar Santa Clara
- Translating experience for students at Instituto Bilingüe Santa Clara
*Mission team members have provided scholarships and school supplies for more than 140 students to attend one of Olancho Aid’s Schools.
Preparation of land and materials to install water purification systems by:
- Digging foundations
- Mixing & pouring cement
- Construction of buildings to house purification systems
*18 systems have been completed that provide clean water to remote villages, schools, and churches in Olancho.
- Over 100 construction projects completed including:
- Building Homes
- Roof Replacement in homes and schools
- Delivery of food baskets to village members in need
- Building relationships with individuals we visit year after year
- Painting and refurbishing Catholic churches
Interested in making an impact? Learn more about each of our teams and how you can get involved!